Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Go 2 allows Microsoft to take a another crack at the budget laptop market. It remains virtually unchanged from its earlier offering, simply providing an updated 12th-gen Core chip inside of it.
The Surface Laptop Go 2 always struck us as a struggle for Microsoft to establish a budget laptop in a competitive market, but with the premium Surface name attached. The Surface Laptop Go 3 tries again, this time moving from a Core i5-1135G7 to a Core i5-1235U.
The trouble is that Microsoft is again trying to convince you that a sub-1080p screen (12.45-inch, 1536×1024 touchscreen) is satisfactory. And to be fair, it kind of is, at least in our earlier reviews. The trouble is that back-to-school laptop deals and just general laptop deals routinely offer discounts on laptops that are comparable, if not better. That’s going to be a challenge for the Surface Laptop Go 3 on paper, right off the bat.
Essentially, the Surface Laptop Go 3 is the same as the Laptop Go 2 in all respects, except for 8GB or 16GB RAM options and 256GB of SSD storage for consumers. There is a 512GB option for business users, which a consumer could presumably buy as well. That option, with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, is reportedly priced at $1,199. We haven’t been able to confirm that on Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Go 3 for Business page, but it sounds a little ridiculous if true.
Otherwise, you can preorder Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Go 3 on Microsoft’s site for between $799 and $999. They’ll ship October 3. And if you don’t want a Surface Laptop Go 2, you could always opt for a Surface Laptop Studio 2 or a Surface Go 4 for Business, both of which Microsoft announced today.
Surface Laptop Go 3 specs
- Display: 12.4-inch (1536×1024, 148 PPI) 10-point multitouch PixelSense display
- Processor: Core i5-1235U
- Graphics: Xe Graphics
- Memory: 8GB-16GB LPDDR4x (8GB as tested)
- Storage: 128GB (removable UFS), 256/512GB (removeable SSD)
- Ports: 1 USB-C, 1 USB-A, Surface Connect, 3.5mm audio jack
- Camera: 720p f2.0 (user-facing)
- Battery: 39.7Wh (design capacity), 40.7Wh (measured full charge capacity)
- Wireless: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.1
- Operating system: Windows 11 Home (consumer); Windows 11 Pro/Windows 10 Pro (business)
- Dimensions (inches): 10.95 x 8.12 x 0.62 inches
- Weight: 2.49 pounds
- Chassis: Aluminum, with polycarbonate resin (30 percent post-consumer recycled content)
- Colors: Ice Blue, Sandstone, Platinum, Sage
- Price: Beginning at $799